Welcome to the Law & Dispute Resolution Working Commission's website.
We are a worldwide community of legal scholars working in the fields of property, construction and the built environment. Our focus is on the application of law in these contexts and our membership includes those with expertise in property, construction, housing, planning and environmental law as well as the many other areas of law which impact on the wider built environment.
Our activities embrace all forms of legal scholarship including theoretical, doctrinal, empirical and comparative law research. Our international membership provides us with a unique opportunity to undertake collaborative comparative law studies across multiple jurisdictions and we welcome enquiries from legal scholars worldwide who would be interested in working with us on future projects.
We are one of over 50 working commissions and task groups of the International Council for Research & Innovation in Building and Construction (usually known simply as 'CIB'). Within CIB we are known by our working commission number - W113.
W113 is led by Paul Chynoweth of the University of Salford, UK.
- OUR JOURNAL - The International Journal of Law in the Built Environment - now in its fourth year of publication - has recently received the publisher's Best New Journal Award. Michael Brand of the University of New South Wales and Brodie McAdam of the University of Salford have now joined the editorial team as associate editors, with special responsibility for developing the journal's construction law portfolio.
- COBRA CONFERENCE 2013, NEW DELHI, INDIA - Our 2013 meeting will take place in New Delhi, India, during the second week of September 2013, in partnership with the RICS COBRA 2013 conference. Abstracts are required by 15 December 2012.
- COBRA CONFERENCE 2012, LAS VEGAS, USA - Our most recent meeting took place in Las Vegas, USA, in September 2012, in partnership with the RICS COBRA 2012 conference.
- RECENT AWARDS - Nick Hopkins and Emma Laurie won the legal research symposium 'best paper' award at the COBRA 2012 conference in Las Vegas. Nicholas Markham, Susan Bright and Nick Hopkins received the RICS best property paper award at the Manchester COBRA 2011 conference. Rachelle Alterman received the award for the best paper at the COBRA 2010 conference in Paris, Paul Chynoweth was presented with the best CIB coordinator's award for 2007 - 2010 during the recent CIB World Congress and Brodie McAdam was awarded the Society of Construction Law prize for the best law paper at the CIB World Congress 2010.
- CIB WORLD CONGRESS - Working Commission W113 was the largest grouping at the most recent CIB World Congress in Salford Quays, Manchester in May 2010. The W113 conference proceedings are now available from this website. The next World Congress will take place in May 2013 in Brisbane, Australia.
- NEW LAW TASK GROUPS LAUNCHED - We are pleased to announce the launch of two new law CIB task groups during 2010 - TG 79 (on Building Regulation & Control in the Face of Climate Change) led by Henk Visscher and Edwin Chan and TG80 (on Legal & Regulatory Aspects of Building Information Modelling) led by Brodie McAdam and Kerry London.